Thursday, January 24, 2019

Bud Blancher Boogers


Day 103: Several years back, I discovered a rather...um...snotty-looking fungus growing on a dead tree near the Community Building at Longmire. Observing it through the seasons, I noticed changes in its structure which eventually allowed me to identify it as Exidia candida, but my original designation was simply too appropriate to let slide, and the "Booger Tree" established itself in my lexicon. A couple of years ago, the Booger Tree sloughed its bark and the boogers disappeared. They have since re-established themselves, if not perhaps in their original abundance, but at least they've reappeared. That said, this image shows an entirely different nose-oyster. I found these along the Bud Blancher Trail in Eatonville, and I'm just thankful no one else was out walking this morning to hear me exult, "Boogers! I found a new Booger Tree!" We must take our little joys wherever we may find them, and the boogers made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment