Thursday, January 17, 2019

Cutie-dee


Day 96: You have to realize that the presence of Black-Capped Chickadees in my yard qualifies as a Really Big Deal, so I hope you don't get tired of seeing them. I certainly don't! It has taken decades to lure them across the road to the contorted filbert, less than 200 feet in human terms but a major expedition for these avian explorers. Far less common species have made farther journeys: Lazuli Buntings, Western Tanagers, high-country Grey Jays down from the Park, out of their customary environs for the occasional visit. Yet here I sat, Chickadeeless for almost thirty years before any small winged soul set toenail across the border dividing My Side from Your Side. I felt like I was living in one of those movie families where the disagreeing occupants draw a line down the middle. I hope they've come to stay!

No comments:

Post a Comment