Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Frog Fingers


Day 108: If you've been in a western Washington evergreen forest, you've undoubtedly seen at least one species of Hypogymnia, commonly referred to as "tube" lichens. This genus is characterized by lobes which appear to be inflated, twisted around into a herd of surrealistic balloon animals, some of which may be carrying odd, upturned umbrellas (the lichen's fruiting bodies, i.e., its apothecia). These lobes are actually hollow and, if separated into upper and lower layers, the colour of interior of the upper layer (the medullary ceiling) can be an aid to identification. In many species, it is dark brown; in others, either black or white. The diameter of the lobes is also helpful, as is the manner in which they fork (regularly or irregularly). Closer examination may reveal perforations at the tips of the lobes, again a diagnostic feature.

My geocaching partner likes to say that the reason I notice things like lichens and mushrooms is because I'm built closer to the ground than most people. While that may be a factor, I think it's due to the fact that I never outgrew the curiosity inherent in childhood. That said, I would like to encourage each of my readers to take a closer look at the small things in nature the next time you go out walking. You may be surprised by beauty in the microcosm at your feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment