Thursday, January 10, 2019

Salad Burnet


Day 89: My artistic skills leave a lot to be desired, but every now and then, I'm inclined to make a botanical drawing. Today seemed as good a day as any, so I give you Salad Burnet, anticipating that you will be unfamiliar with this delightful little plant and will ask, "What the heck is Salad Burnet?" Sanguisorba minor is a culinary herb, not often cultivated in the home garden, but very easy to grow, quite hardy and won't run rampant. Despite temperatures in the 20s a few weeks ago, mine is still as green and fresh as ever. It can be eaten by itself if one is so inclined, picking it fresh from the garden as I often do when I'm working outdoors, but its best use is as a garnish. It tastes of cucumber! The individual leaves are about the size of a thumbnail. Strip them from the main stem and sprinkle them over your next potluck salad and be prepared to answer the inevitable question: "What is this stuff, anyway?"

No comments:

Post a Comment