Friday, February 1, 2019

Sanderlings From Hell


Day 111: As a 1500-piece jigsaw, my friend Patty's photo titled "Sanderlings on the Rocks" is without debate the most difficult puzzle I've ever put together. It didn't take me long to subtitle it "Sanderlings from Hell." The largest single section I was able to assemble consisted of no more than 18 pieces. The rest had to go in one piece at a time solely by shape because there was very little colour variation between rocks and birds. Even with it finished and on the table, I don't think I could make an accurate count of Sanderlings. Some have their heads under their wings, and I swear some of the rocks have legs. There were some tense moments when I was convinced one or more pieces were missing; in fact, as late as last night when I had fewer than 100 pieces left to go, there was a line of three I simply could not find. I eventually got them by trying to fit in every remaining piece, one at a time. What a great puzzle!

1 comment: