Friday, March 8, 2019

First Day Of Skunk Cabbage


Day 146: Happy First Day of Skunk Cabbage to all my readers! Okay, it's a rather sad offering, but considering the fact that in two hours, four inches of new snow fell in my yard (and it's still coming down as I write this), I'll take whatever I can get. Some of you may recall that the First Day of Skunk Cabbage is one of the important dates on my personal calendar. It's a moveable feast for obvious reasons, but seldom has it occurred quite this early. Since it is dependent on the timing of my own first observation of Lysichiton americanus, a lot of different factors come into play. If it hadn't been that I had an appoinment for a hair cut this morning, it could well have occurred next week instead. I braved the snow to venture into Flatland and, since I was already out, decided to check my Nisqually Land Trust beat. The compulsive litterer had been at it again, leaving me at least one full pickup-load of construction debris. Feeling rather downhearted by the find, I started home via a different route, and was passing alongside a debris-filled ditch when a wink of yellow caught the tail of my eye. A quarter of a mile later, I found a wide spot in which to reverse direction safely. Yes! There were my beloved Skunks, putting in their first appearance of the year. The sight of them turned my mood around. Spring is here, snow or no.

No comments:

Post a Comment