Monday, April 1, 2019

Bog Naturalist


Day 170: "And here we have a specimen of Physicus palustris, the Bog Naturalist, drawn out by warm spring temperatures and the scent of Skunk Cabbage." Yep, the pull was more than I could stand. I've been thinking about visiting my favourite bog near Swofford Pond for the last couple of weeks, not wanting to be too early or too late for the best flowers, and apparently I timed it just right. The bog was rather drier than usual, although still tricky to navigate without sinking in, but at least this year, I didn't fall over or lose a boot to the mud, both consequences I've suffered in past years. The Skunks were somewhat smaller than normal (probably a consequence of the drier soil), but abundant. I could hear frogs, but search as I might, I never saw one. They fell silent at my footfall before I could get close. I spent half an hour in the bog, then went on to another adventure: seeking out invasives in a new location. That too was productive, if perhaps not as gratifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment