Friday, April 12, 2019

Roosevelt Elk



Day 181: The Roosevelt Elk have been out almost every day for the last two weeks (32 in this morning's count), and as of this writing, they haven't ventured over to my side of the road. For now, they seem to be content to eat the new grass shoots, but sooner or later, they'll get a whiff of the assorted tasty shrubs in my yard and Spring War 2019 hostilities will have begun. I have my slingshot handy, but they generally launch their assaults on the garden under cover of darkness and unless I sleep with one eye open, they'll crop plants right down to the ground. The horse chestnuts survived despite last year's onslaught and I will be putting chicken-wire or plastic mesh over most everything else. Oddly, even plastic bird-netting is effective as a deterrent. Far be it from me to tell them they should floss after (or during!) meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment