Saturday, May 4, 2019

Amelanchier Alnifolia, Serviceberry


Day 203: Serviceberry, Sarviceberry, Sarvis, Shadberry, Shadbush, Shadblow, Shadwood, Juneberry, Saskatoon, Chuckley Pear, Sugarplum, Wild-plum...the things you could call Amelanchier alnifolia vary dramatically from region to region. Its scientific name "alnifolia" refers to the resemblance of the leaves to those of alder, although I'd take issue with that and suggest that "betulifolia" would be more appropriate since to me they look like birch. This sprangly shrub blooms in May-June, corresponding with the shad runs on both the east and west coasts. While this explains several of the common names, others confound the imagination. "Chuckley Pear?" Where did that come from? "Wild-plum"(hyphenated) is even more confusing, since Sarviceberry (the form I learned as a child) bears fruits which look and taste rather like blueberries. They can be used quite successfully as a substitute in muffins and pancakes if you have the good fortune to be able to collect enough before the birds raid the bushes. I've never been able to gather enough for jam, so when I found a healthy grove yesterday, I carefully lifted an offshoot to grow at home. It will remain in a sunken pot for a year until it's had a chance to establish a strong root system and then I'll move it to a permanent location at the edge of my woods where hopefully it will flourish and spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment