Monday, May 20, 2019

Old-Fashioned Favourite



Day 219: On the heels of yesterday's post about False Lily-of-the-Valley, today I bring you the real thing. This may well be the first time the two plants have bloomed concurrently in my yard; one usually follows the other by about two weeks.

One of the fondest memories of my childhood is of sitting on my grandmother's back step, flanked by beds of Lily-of-the-Valley on either side. To this day, the scent is one of my favourites. It will be at its best on warm evenings which, unfortunately, have been rather scarce here in western Washington lately, but I can't bring myself to cut a bouquet to put on the mantel. It's rare that I cut flowers, the exception being the occasional bunch of daffodils when they're at their peak, and that only because removing the flowering heads before they can start forming seed makes for stronger bulbs. Flowers last longer when they're alive, and if I want to enjoy them, I just need to step outside. This philosophy is not just better for the plants; it's better for me as well. Rain or shine, I take a daily dose of "outdoor tonic" with a walk around my flower beds and berry garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment