Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Botanical Drawing



Day 248: This year, the Volunteer Program is taking a new tack with respect to training incoming and recurring volunteers. In years past, we packed as much information as possible into two all-day sessions, a plan which left many people butt-weary and glassy-eyed, if better informed. For 2019, we're offering more sessions, including a half-day orientation for new Meadow Rovers and a second half-day for returning Rovers. In addition to the basic training, we will be offering one- to two-hour specialized programs from subject-matter experts and...well, you can probably guess how that applies to me. To that end, I had to dust off my limited artistic skills to create pencil drawings which I then put through my photo-processing software to render in high-contrast black-and-white. These will be part of the "Lichen Fact Sheet" I hand out to my "victims." A one-hour program on lichens, mycoheterotrophs, slime molds and rarities will be followed by a hands-on field trip through Longmire Campground in early August.

No comments:

Post a Comment