Thursday, June 6, 2019

Hordnia Atropunctata, Blue-Green Leafhopper


Day 236: A garden pest, (formerly, now Hordnia) Graphocephala atropunctata is commonly known as the Blue-Green Leafhopper or Blue-Green Sharpshooter. I discovered the relevance of the latter name when I sprayed them with insecticidal soap. They popped off the leaves like seeds from a dry silique, "shooting" several feet from the plant. Considering that the majority of them were on my "Red Lake" currants and only a few had migrated to the gooseberries, I think it's safe to assume that their eggs were on the stems of the currants and only hatched recently. I hadn't noticed any nymphs, but now I know to keep a closer watch. The spread of insects and diseases from "big box store" plants is becoming more prevalent as inspection standards are relaxed for species imported from other states. The guidelines are still there (the "laws," if you will), but the sheer bulk of vegetables, flowers and shrubs makes it impractical to inspect each incoming plant. We all know it's about economics, don't we? There will be more dollars in the pockets of growers and inspectors if the burden of control is shifted to the individual gardener. What a warped world this is!

Footnote: the taxonomists got me again. This critter was moved to Hordnia, and is now Hordnia atropunctata.

No comments:

Post a Comment