Sunday, June 16, 2019

Rescue Violet



Day 246: Some people have "rescue pets," unwanted or special-needs dogs or cats which they've taken from a shelter to give a "forever home" (as the jargon goes). I have a "rescue plant." Years ago, I kept an extensive collection of African Violets, perhaps 60 plants in all ranging from the standards you'd find in the floral section of the grocery store to specially-bred miniatures and unusual colours and/or flower forms which I'd purchased from commercial breeders. I belonged to the African Violet Society and even wrote for their magazine. Then one fine summer day, I left for a ten-day tour of duty at my post at the Mowich Ranger Station, leaving my floral babies in the keeping of my husband, along with a set of detailed instructions for watering. I came home to a catastrophe of dead and dying plants. I couldn't bear to start over, and thus gave up the hobby for a selection of less demanding species (notably Hoyas).

About six months ago, I purchased an African Violet, intending to give it as a gift. Too late, I discovered that it had been overwatered to the point of having developed root-rot, and many of the leaves dropped within days of bringing it home. It was in no shape to present, but I couldn't bear to throw the poor thing out. I figured I'd be fighting a losing battle, but I decided to try to nourish it back to health. It's still a little lop-sided, but it now has a nice rosette of leaves and just put up a flush of beautiful picotee blossoms: the Rescue Violet.

No comments:

Post a Comment