Monday, July 1, 2019

Double-Take Time


Day 261: Worn out from marching...well, dancing...as I was one of the many representatives of the National Park Service in Seattle's Pride Parade, I think I can be excused for having gobbled down a restaurant dinner without noticing the floral arrangment at the opposite end of the table I was sharing with Kevin and his family. When it finally did catch my eye, I did a classic double-take. "That's a bloody Yellow Knapweed, I'm sure of it!" I blurted out, and then jokingly told the waitress I was going to have to turn in an invasive-plant report on the establishment. Yes, Yellow Knapweed (Centaurea macrocephala, aka Bighead Knapweed or Globe Centaury) is a Class A invasive in King County. I quote, "Bighead knapweed is a Class A noxious weed in Washington and property owners are required to eradicate it from their property.  It is also on the Washington quarantine list (also known as the prohibited plants list) and it is illegal to buy, sell or offer it for sale in the state of Washington." So what in bloody hell was it doing on my dinner table? The law doesn't cover cut flowers, and I suppose I should be glad it's not going to seed somewhere, but I would like to know where they got it and whether or not they realize what it is. Y'know, it's not often you find an invasive in a restaurant. I should get bonus points or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment