Sunday, July 28, 2019

Prisoner No. 2


Day 288: For the record, I am learning first-hand what happens when you remove competing species from an area. Last year, I live-trapped one Townsend's Chipmunk, two Bushy-Tailed Wood Rats and FIFTEEN Douglas Squirrels. All but the Wood Rats were relocated to a location across the river and miles from here. Squirrels are notoriously destructive, even to the point of causing house fires by gnawing on the insulation surrounding electrical wiring. That said, chipmunks are kinda cute, but when one of them kept me awake a few nights ago banging around inside the bedroom wall, I decided I'd had enough. The following morning, I set out the Hav-a-Hart trap baited with peanut butter on taco chips. The offering was rejected. I changed strategy and laid out sunflower seeds. Chip thought the ones in the bird feeder were better, but after eating his fill, he climbed down and went in pursuit of a dessert of blueberries. I took the hint and baited the trap with dried cranberries. Half an hour later, I was driving Chip to Mineral and, satisfied that I'd solved my rodent problem. I put the trap away in the garage. The next morning, I had a second chipmunk in the bird feeder. Within an hour or so after baiting the trap with golden raisins, I was making another trip to Mineral with Prisoner No. 2. I was not as confident as I had been after relocating two chips, so I set the trap out again. Bingo! Half an hour later, I was again en route to Mineral, feeling a little like I'd been hired to drive the squirrel-bus. I was three Chips down, but the story hasn't reached its conclusion yet. There's still another one out there, and the little stinker doesn't seem to be impressed with raisins.

No comments:

Post a Comment