Monday, July 22, 2019

Solanum Melongena, Have A Guess


 Day 282: Some of you will undoubtedly recognize this plant, but it's a new one for me. I have only seen it in the seedling form, never blooming, and most certainly never in fruit. It is not native to the Pacific Northwest (not hardly!), nor is it an invasive species (although I wouldn't object to it spreading in my garden). I'll give you a hint: it's a member of the Solanum family, kin to potatoes, tomatoes and woody nightshade (poisonous, but not the infamous "deadly," which belongs to a different family). Its fruits (berries) are usually purple, but some varieties are white or striped. Some may be the size of small eggs, but others may weigh over two pounds. The fruits are edible and considered delicious by many people (myself included), and may be sliced, breaded and fried, used as a substitute for pasta in lasagna or roasted whole, stuffed or plain. Have you got it yet? Eggplant! This is my first year growing them, thanks to one of our Morris dancers providing me with two healthy starts earlier this spring. They're doing quite well in a container set just off my back step where I will remember to water them daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment