Thursday, August 15, 2019

A Beary Interesting Hike


Day 306: Yesterday's MeadoWatch hike offered up a little surprise. I left home early in the morning to be on the trail during the cool of the day, and had been looking for bears on the slopes as I came up the Lakes Trail, but hadn't seen any sign of one except for one deposit of scat early on. When I got up to the monument at the junction with the Skyline Trail, I sat on the stone bench to take a short break. I'd been there for a few minutes when a piercingly loud marmot whistle (the loudest I have ever heard!) knifed through my eardrums. With no one else around, I stood up as I said, "Jesus, marmot! Deafen me, whydontcha?" and then I saw why the marmot had sent out the alarm. A scrawny yearling bear loped at speed up a draw not thirty feet from me, turning and heading down the Skyline Trail when I made my presence known with a startled, "Oh, bear! Hi!" Bear went over the side and into the valley to the east about fifty feet further on, crossed the creek, started up the other side of the valley but thought better of it when two hikers came to the edge of the slope to see what was going on. The bear then turned south and tried to climb up a steeper slope, grabbing onto a rotten stump for an assist. The stump collapsed under the animal's weight and dumped poor bear onto his hindquarters about five feet downslope. He recovered from the indignity with something less than good grace and disappeared around the knoll to the west. By this time, I'd gathered a crowd of visitors who were curious about what I was photographing, but only the two on the far side of the valley actually saw the bear. Still, it was time for some bear education, so I spent the next half hour talking to visitors, letting them know that this particular bear was both young and very thin and therefore might require a little more caution in a potential encounter. That said, my sympathies were with the poor bear who was obviously not having a good day, even without the presence of too many humans on his patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment