Saturday, August 17, 2019

Eggplant Surprise


Day 308: Since the eggplants began blooming in late July, I have been watching closely for any sign of developing fruit. How then did a four-inch dark purple object escape my attention until yesterday afternoon? It is still quite firm, and because the plants came to me from one of our Morris dancers, I have no idea what size to expect it to attain, but I am delighted by this Eggplant Surprise. My favourite way to prepare it is as a substitute for pasta in lasagna. My mother sliced it, dipped it in batter for stove-top frying and served it up with maple syrup like pancakes, perhaps not a traditional method of preparation but tastier than it sounds. That said, eggplant is on the same spectrum as okra: if you don't care for it, no amount of fancy chefery or cajoling will change your mind. That's okay. It just means more for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment