Monday, August 5, 2019

Mug Shots


Day 296: I'd heard about the crime problem in rural Pierce County before I took up the badge of Squirrel Enforcer. I knew I had a hard job ahead of me, but I was new to the beat and just a little naive. "Hard" to me meant that I'd still be going home to my wife and kiddies at night, eating three squares and watching a little TV before catchin' a few zzzzzs like a normal person. "Hard" didn't include 24-hour stake-outs and clever perps who could steal the tie right from under your chin without you noticing. No, "hard" meant something entirely different to a rookie who was badge-proud and cocky. I got over being green damn fast when I came up against the Townsend gang, and now I have a reputation with the Force. I also have one with the Townsends, and for the same reason: I bring 'em in. One by one, I bring 'em in, transfer the little creeps to Lewis County and go back to my stake-out. It's a hard job, but somebody's gotta do it. That's me, Trapper the Squirrel Cop. I'm good at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment