Tuesday, September 24, 2019

All For One Demo LIchen



Day 346: On October 6, I will be giving an "Introduction to Lichens" presentation for the Nisqually Land Trust, an indoor "nature walk" (as it were). To that end, over the next week and a half, I will need to gather specimens for demonstration, and of course I can't collect from inside the Park. Obviously, this means I'm going to need to go a bit farther afield, "farther" in this case meaning a 7-mile hike (round trip) out to Sheep Lake in order to obtain a sample of Letharia vulpina, a particularly interesting species. Since I was going to be hiking the PCT from Chinook Pass to Sheep, it seemed only logical to tack another 3.5 miles on in order to complete a MeadoWatch hike on Naches Loop. The weather could have been better, but the missions were both accomplished. Joe Dreimiller's assistance was greatly appreciated since he was able to reach a second lichen species (Bryoria fremontii) and pulled a chunk of it down out of a subalpine fir with his trekking pole. The remainder of my chosen samples will be easier to obtain from sites much closer to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment