Saturday, September 14, 2019

Boleta Trio



Day 336: "Edulis" means "edible," and that's not saying half of it. Boletus edulis is perhaps my very favourite wild 'shroom, edging Chanterelles into second place. I'd gone past one in the morning, electing not to pick it right then and there because I didn't want it to spend the day banging around in my pack, but on the way back to the car, I was dismayed to discover that I wasn't the only person who recognized the species. My intended dinner had been neatly cut off at the base. I used a little language unsuited to my uniform after checking to be sure no visitors were within hearing distance, but glad nonetheless that I'd managed to find one hiding under the low boughs of a subalpine fir. A search of the harvested area yielded up no more, although I did find two more by making a long detour on a connecting trail. Boletas are generally regarded as a fairly safe family, if not quite a "beginner mushroom." Any with red caps or red reticulation on the stipe are to be avoided, and those whose flesh or pores stain blue when broken or crushed may cause reactions in sensitive individuals. Edulis is easy to identify by its bulbous white/tan base and brown cap. The pores are also whitish. To prepare Boletas, cut the stipes crossways and discard any wormy portions. Remove the pores and if the cap is viscid (sticky), peel it away from the flesh. Slice into 1/4" pieces and fry in butter. Oh, so yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment