Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Mormon Fritillary, Speyeria Mormonia


Day 332: Sometimes I wonder if what first drew me to natural history was a love of words. Even as a very young child, I delighted in dropping Latin names into casual conversation, much to the annoyance of my peers who dubbed me "the Professor" (and with few exceptions, they did not mean it kindly). My affinity for the sciences was ridiculed, but that only drove me deeper into the books. I couldn't see wasting my time in styling my hair or comparing colours of nail polish, nor in soliciting the attention of boys and attending dances (not that I was ever invited). Science has always provided me a comfortable refuge, even when taxonomy drives me to screaming. Knowing my interest in the etymology of species names, Arnie recently provided me with a link to an exceptionally comprehensive compilation of Latin and Latinized botanical names from Calflora, giving sources and meanings. I had hoped to find something similar for butterflies, but alas, the only information I've been able to retrieve is that Adolph Speyer was an entomologist specializing in Lepidoptera during the mid-1800s, and the genus Speyeria was named for him. The "mormonia" portion of the Mormon Fritillary's name (Speyeria mormonia) remains a mystery, despite multiple undocumented claims to a relationship with the Mormon religion and its followers. It's not enough to pull it up on a Google search. I want to find the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment