Friday, October 4, 2019

24-Karat Gold


Day 356: It was an afterthought. The rain stopped and I was in the area so, backache or not, I said, "Y'know, I really ought to go see if there are any chanterelles." It's been a banner autumn in the mycological sense, but even so, I wasn't expecting to find the first buttons less than 100 feet up the hidden trail which eventually takes me to my secret patch. By the time I reached Ground Zero, I had enough for my own dinner and was working on filling a second bag to give to Kevin. True to form, I didn't pick any one spot completely, always leaving a few 'shrooms on both ends of the age spectrum as "seeds" for next year's harvest. It's a practice which has stood me in good stead these many years of collecting from the same spot, as evidenced by this haul. Kevin and Kelli will eat well tonight, and I have a second batch waiting to be fried up for today's lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment