Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Fuligo Septica



Day 360: Despite a rather abrupt passage from warm summer to chilly autumn, the slime molds were out in force this last week. Maybe the change in the weather caught them with their plasmodial pants down, or maybe they've altered their plans for world domination to include winter assaults, but in any event, I was thoroughly surprised to find not one but three different species out and about in the woods. They're normally at their most active during warm weather. Although they can be difficult to tell apart when in the early stages of development, I feel I can identify this one as Fuligo septica with some assurance because I've seen it at this location before (several times, as a matter of fact). I hope it doesn't feel overly proprietary toward the Chanterelles in the area because I would not wish to get on its bad side.

No comments:

Post a Comment