Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Upon Discovering A Maze...


Day 2: Jefferson County's HJ Carroll Park is not a place one would expect to find a faerie-land. The core area is devoted to athletic fields of one sort or another and a picnic area with pavilions (and by "core," I mean probably 25 of those 40 acres). It is ringed by a wide walking trail which is subsequently bordered by woods. Roughly a third of this woodland serves as a course for disc-golfers. The southern section is bounded by Chimacum Creek, accessible via several short forest paths. I had only just started down one of these in a hunt for invasive plants when I stumbled across the maze hidden in the freckled shadows of fragrant cedars. I could not recall it from previous explorations of the park; it's not something I would have missed. I walked its twists and turns with the delight of a child, discovering as I did so that it was not a true maze, but was laid out in such a way that to reach the center three stones, you were required to travel around every bend and corner. It was a meditative experience, both complex and simple. I wish I had known how to address the faeries who must surely dance there in the autumn fogs, but they did not reveal themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment