Friday, November 22, 2019

Lecanora Pacifica, Multicolored Rim Lichen


Day 40: If you are in the slightest way trypophobic, I apologize for today's post. My mother was one of those people who got the heebie-jeebies if she saw pinholes in paper or little bumps on the surface of something, so I'm sure she would have run screaming from Lecanora pacifica, one of the most common Lecanoras to be found in the Pacific Northwest. Perhaps fortunately for her, the disks of this species are quite small, i.e., 0.7-1.2 mm, demonstrated here with my handy-dandy measurin' stick for reference. Multicolored Rim Lichen prefers smooth deciduous bark as its substrate, notably that of Red Alder and some willows. In my area, it's most commonly seen on alder. The centers of the disks give it its common name; in any given patch, they may range from yellowish through black. Each apothecial disk is emphasized by a prominent rim of light grey-green. I think they're quite attractive, but obviously, I did not inherit the gene for trypophobia.

No comments:

Post a Comment