Sunday, November 24, 2019

Sheepy Bizness



Day 42: As the vendor said to me when I protested that I really didn't need any more wool (but why else had I gone to the bazaar?), "The one who dies with the most wool wins, right?" Thus it was that two pounds of the cinnamon-coloured locks in the lower right foreground followed me home.

Spinning is my current alternate to quilting. When I need a break, I kick the quilt frame aside and take my Louet wheel from its position beside the fireplace to set in front of the same chair. Currently, I'm working with white Corriedale roving, but there's nothing like new fleece to hurry a project along. One of these days, I'll actually knit up some of the plied wools occupying a significant space in the cedar chest, or perhaps I'll weave them. And therein lies the rub: I can't decide how best to utilize handspun yarns.

Ranking 'round the clock, starting with the finished yarn in the upper left, the wools shown here are black lamb's-wool from the first lamb born in my care, a surprisingly light tan wool from my "black" ram, silver Gotland roving (delicious to spin), "in the grease" cinnamon lamb's-wool (the new acquisition), light grey washed fleece from a friend, and of course the white Corriedale on the spindle and in roving. Do you think I'm going to run out of things to do any time soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment