Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Usnea Pacificana


Day 44: For the second time this month, I've used UV to identify a lichen species. Y'see, I'd gone to the library and since I was out and feeling rather desperate for post material, I decided to go for a short, chilly walk in Nisqually State Park, hoping to get home before it started snowing. I took a different turn than usual, and after about half a mile, I found a "bunny trail" heading off toward the Mashell. Well, why not? A few hundred yards in, a very stringy, pendulous Usnea caught my eye. Having not had a Cunning Plan when I set out, I was poorly equipped, i.e., my aide mémoire for Usneas was still on the shelf at home. I examined the specimen for identifying features (cigar-shaped branches, isidia/soredia, red spots, annular rings), making note of each mentally. As I started to walk away, I saw a detached piece on the ground. Into my pocket it went! And I'm glad I brought it home, because without seeing its response to UV, I couldn't have nailed it down. That said, this is perhaps the sixth species of Usnea I've identified in Nisqually State Park. And you were wondering why I spend so much of my free time hiking there?

No comments:

Post a Comment