Friday, December 6, 2019

A Run Around Rampart Ridge



Day 54: With snow on the ground at Longmire, I figured I'd have to turn around before I reached the crest of Rampart Ridge, 1200 feet higher. My original intention was to check on the Tilachlidium which, if you stay tuned, will make a healthy and happy appearance in an upcoming post. I was worried it might have succumbed to wintery temperatures and humidity, but when I discovered it in good shape, I went off-trail to search for other examples. In a 100-foot radius, I could not find any more. I will have to expand my search area later. At any rate, I decided to keep going up Rampart's steep east end and when I reached the intersection with the trail to Van Trump Park, the ground was still relatively snow-free. I checked the time on my camera. Could I finish off three more miles and be back before Kevin wanted to head home? I thought it might be possible, if only marginally. The ridgeline is relatively flat for almost a mile. I won't say I ran it, but I definitely was travelling at a good clip, even moreso when I started down the switchbacks of the west end. Only pausing briefly to speak with a visitor at the viewpoint, I made it back to Longmire with an hour to spare, five miles and a twenty-minute Tilachlidium hunt in just a little over two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment