Monday, December 23, 2019

Christmas, Cawed



Day 71: A light dusting of snow fell last night, just in time for me to create my annual Christmas, cawed. The usual guests showed up for breakfast: dog kibble, black-oil seed, mixed seed, suet, laid out on the sideboard in lavish supply for the welter of crows, jays, towhees, juncos, porch parrots, sparrows and chickadees who flock in to bring good cheer. There are the gate-crashers, too: snotty, spotty starlings, gluttons of the worst sort and rude in the bargain, but I can't bring myself to deny them a place at the table, no more than I could have ever slammed the door on bickering, unpleasant in-laws despite a wish to the contrary. It's Christmastime, and everyone deserves a little kindness regardless of their nature. More snow is in the offing...and as I always say, it will be on the awning as well. Let it fall! No feathered friend will go unfed on my watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment