Sunday, January 19, 2020

Box Of Parrots


Day 98: It's not like I only have one bird feeder out there, y'know. It's just that the Parrots know a good thing when they see one, and my house has been on their map for years. All the feeders are full of Parrots. The conversational exchanges are heated to boiling: "Get off! You're standing on my toes!" "That was MY seed!" "You already had three! It's my turn!" "Move over!" "Budge up, you're hogging the tray!" Don't get me wrong. I love my Parrots dearly, but they Do Not Play Well With Other Parrots. Jays, juncos, blackbirds, starlings...they just ignore them, but you let one Parrot move in on another Parrot's territory and the beak battles ensue. Male or female, it makes no difference. Here, the prime motivator is food, not reproduction. My job is to be sure there's enough black-oil seed to keep everybody reasonably happy. Waitaminit...is that feeder empty AGAIN?

No comments:

Post a Comment