Monday, January 27, 2020

Chessie


Day 106: They say you should be careful what you wish for. I have absolutely no regrets with respect to wishing that chickadees would discover my feeders. Today, the contorted filbert's twisted branches are populated with a dozen or more in a single flavour: Chestnut-Backed. Yesterday, an equivalent swarm of Black-Capped dominated the census. Some days, the two species dine together. What governs the 'Dee-dee demographic? I'd love to know. As yet, I've had no Kinglets, neither Ruby-Crowned or Golden-Crowned, but that brings another question to my mind: does each kinglet species pair with a type of chickadee, for example Golden-Crowned with Chestnut-Backed? I haven't paid attention to their associations when I've observed them in the forests. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been too preoccupied with trying to catch one in a photographic "trap" to make any scientific observations. Perhaps now that I'm swamped with resident chickadees, I'll be more keen in studying the behaviour of their wild counterparts.

No comments:

Post a Comment