Thursday, February 27, 2020

First Day Of Skunk Cabbage



Day 137: Happy First Day of Skunk Cabbage! I thought I might be a bit ahead of the calendar since this event usually occurs in mid-March, but the swamp behind Swofford Pond served up about two dozen fully open spathes. Lots more were just poking through and I had to be very careful where I put my feet as I made my way across from firm spot to firm spot. Having achieved my primary goal for the day, I then went on to hike two of Cowlitz Wildlife's nature trails in the area for a total of roughly four miles, searching for lichens and fungi. It was a productive day, although now I'm faced with the task of identifying species, several of which did not leap out of the field guides on the first pass. That said, life would be rather boring if I had no botanical puzzles to attempt to solve.

No comments:

Post a Comment