Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Snowdrift

Day 135: Dear little Snowdrops! Your enthusiastic encouragement of the weather toward sun and warmer temperatures is inspiring, if a little unrealistic when one compares the drift of your immaculate blossoms to the whitened hills rising above your beds. I see you shivering in the wind despite your valiant efforts to deny its chill, and not a one of you casts a shadow detectable by my despairing eye. Still, I take heart in your courage as you dare the clouds to part and the buds of hazel, maple and ash to burst, and I see you as you attempt to coax the daffodils into putting on a performance for the equinox. Will the crocuses join them, and the lilacs? Please, dear Snowdrops, draw them out of hiding to colour my yard with their cheer. The winter has gone on too long and should be retired from service to make way for the grace of flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment