Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Wish Me Luck!



Day 115: Back in the days when I did a lot of hardanger work, I entered pieces into a national contest, twice receiving honourable mention, which amounted to a cash prize and publication in the annual awards pattern book. Other than those two ventures into competition, I have not put any of my work up for judging except at the Washington State Fair. There I also received ribbons in each of the three categories for which I submitted pieces (a first prize and two second prizes, each of two years). Recently I learned of a tatting/crochet contest in which there will be twelve winners, each to be rewarded with $35 in merchandise and publication in a 2021 calendar. Patterns must be "original or adapted from public domain," i.e., vintage patterns for which the copyright has expired. You may recall an earlier post showing this same design in ecru, thread which my mother had purchased in to 1940s intending to make a pineapple tablecloth. She never got around to it, and the thread (perfectly preserved) came to me. Somewhere along the line, the pattern went missing, so I decided to make the tablecloth in tatting instead, and created this original design motif. Since the calendar contest closes in April, I knew I wouldn't be able to finish the whole piece (I only have 58 motifs made), I decided to zip up a fast 2 x 2 in white #20 as my entry. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment