Tuesday, April 21, 2020

New Tenant

Day 191: I am pleased to report that at least one of the two apartments I provide for the summer tourists has been rented. The House of Chirp is presently occupied by Tree Swallows, easily distinguished from the Violet-Greens even in this partial view by the lack of white above the eye. I have not observed any activity in Pussywillow Cottage, set a respectable distance to the right of this duplex, but I sometimes miss the comings and goings until the fledglings begin appearing at the door. The House of Chirp's "mother-in-law" annex is never occupied; it is too small for a comfortable nest. Another generation of swallows has begun, and if the world of humans falls to pieces around us, I can take some consolation in the hope that they will survive what we have done to their world. It's time to leave the planet to species which will not abuse it as we have done, for all of our vaunted "intelligence."

No comments:

Post a Comment