Wednesday, April 8, 2020

The Weaver At The Loom


Day 178: I know. I said there weren't going to be any more weaving posts for a while, but I forgot the most important one: the weaver at the loom. I was done with the daily goal of another full colour sequence on the tablecloth by early afternoon yesterday, and thus was faced with a dilemma. I am really enjoying this project because it takes a fair bit of concentration to repeat four treadling steps over fifteen throws. In other words, I'm counting 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4 at the same time I'm counting 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3...and so on. You get a step off if you're not paying attention. And paying attention is good right now because it keeps my mind off people dying and bastards lying. That said, because I am enjoying the weaving of this particular project so much, I am debating whether to ration myself to one sequence per day, working on any of my other dozen projects to fill the remaining hours, or to sit at the loom, happily weaving away. I'm inclined to go with rationing because that's the kind of person I am, half-lifing the chocolate or cookie supply as the days wear on. Should the weaving compulsion be with me, I also have a project on the rigid heddle currently, a rather boring tabby in Lily's "Sugar & Cream," far from my favourite fiber in any event. It needs to be done; therefore, I should be working on it. Likewise, it's become painfully obvious that my sisters-of-the-heart are not going to be visiting any time soon to work on Mousie's grandmother's quilt, so I wish to devote a portion of the day to completing as much of it as I can (and it's coming along famously). Still, there is something about the music (and I use the term quite loosely) of the floor loom's operation and the demand upon my brain which makes weaving the tablecloth ever so much more appealing. My next project might not call to me in the same way. "Choices, choices!" thinks the weaver at the loom as her shuttle passes back and forth through the rainbow web.

No comments:

Post a Comment