Thursday, April 2, 2020

Warping


Day 172: Any weaving project begins with visualization. Then comes the actual planning, based on the width and length of fabric required to complete it. Many things must be taken into account when weaving turns to math: the weight of thread governs the number of threads per inch, as do repeats of a colour pattern and/or type of weave. Once these things have been determined, the weaver then sets to measuring the warp, winding it over a series of pegs set into a rectangular frame, i.e., the "warping board" to the length desired. Wastage must be allowed for in measuring the warp. In this case, the rainbow check tablecloth in my imagination requires two 36"-wide lengths of 72" since I cannot weave the full two-yard width in twill on a 48" loom. At least five more feet of warp will be considered waste (a figure I know from experience), so I have measured out 525 ends plus two selvedge threads at six yards each which gives me five repeats of 7 colours, 15 warp threads per colour for the half-width warp, to be put on the loom at 15 dents per inch and woven at 15 throws per inch ("balanced weave").  While I would have preferred a brighter orange than the rust which follows red in the repeat, desperate times call for desperate measures. It took a stay-at-home order to inspire me to warp the big loom for this project, so I think I can make a few minor allowances.

No comments:

Post a Comment