Monday, May 4, 2020

Black-Headed Grosbeak, Pheucticus Melanocephalus


Day 204: A few days ago, my botany partner wrote to say that the Black-Headed Grosbeaks had arrived at his house and was wondering if I had seen any yet. I had not. However, yesterday morning when I threw back the curtains, I startled half a dozen who were searching the feeders for any leftovers. I immediately put out black-oil sunflower seed, and for the next half hour or so, stood out on the back porch despite rain and wind, watching one of my favourite birds dine at leisure at Cafe Crow. That said, it seems that every time Kevin calls to see if I need groceries, the list I give him begins with some sort of bird seed. Gotta keep my clients happy!

As a point of interest, Black-Headed Grosbeaks are one of very few species of birds who are able to eat Monarch butterflies. Their systems can process the toxins contained in milkweed, the Monarch caterpillar's sole source of food. Particularly in Mexico where Monarchs winter, Black-Headed Grosbeaks consume large numbers of the butterfly. They also consume the toxic berries of both mistletoe and poison oak. Other foods include seeds, insects, arachnids and even small snails. The food chain is a complex web, connected on levels that we barely understand, but the bottom line is this: everybody has to eat, whether it's Black-Headed Grosbeaks consuming Monarch butterflies, crows gobbling robin eggs, or hawks taking songbirds on the wing. There is a balance to be struck, and we should not interfere.

No comments:

Post a Comment