Monday, May 11, 2020

Stamen Count - Shadbush, Amelanchier Alnifolia



Day 211: Shadbush, Serviceberry, Sarviceberry, Saskatoon...whatever you choose to call it, Amelanchier alnifolia and dwarf A. alnifolia var. pumila are both known to occur in western Washington. The extent of the toothed portion of the leaf margin may be helpful in separating the two, but the real telling point is the number of stamens. Having taken photos of several different specimens during my morning walk, thinking only of getting an acceptable exposure in the pre-dawn light, I found myself faced with a dilemma. I had three different leaf forms, and several references described them as "highly variable." The following morning, I left home with a hand lens hung around my neck and returned to each and every Shadbush I'd photographed the previous day to conduct a stamen count. As it turned out, I didn't need the magnifier. One, two, three...hey, they're kinda in little groups of five! Yup, 20 in every case: Western Serviceberry. The fruits of both types are edible and reminiscent of blueberries, and are great in muffins or waffles if you can get them before the birds do.

No comments:

Post a Comment