Friday, June 26, 2020

Myriosclerotinia Caricis-Ampullaceae


Day 257: The botany mission which compelled me to break voluntary isolation for the third time in four months had in fact three parts. The first was to document Corallorhiza maculata var. occidentalis. The second and third parts were conducted at the same location: photograph and identify a specific fungus which we believe may be associated with some of the rarer mycoheterotrophic species, and to check for possible soil disturbance where one of those species is known to occur, i.e., to ascertain whether it might have been dug out by an unscrupulous collector. However, as I was driving up the road, it occurred to me that I could also visit an old friend who I knew to be at home from a report from my botany partner, Joe. A rarity worldwide, Myriosclerotinia caricis-ampullaceae occurs in half a dozen locations as recorded by Team Biota over the last several years of exploration. It is parasitic on a narrow group of sedges, although in our observations, it is not affecting the sedge population at any of the documented sites. Myrio, as we lovingly refer to him, is a cute little thing...well, not so little, actually, but very difficult to see in situ, hiding behind sedge foliage or moss. Our largest specimen measured roughly 50 mm in height with a cup width of almost 20 mm. The largest I found on this trip was +30 mm in height, 15 mm in diameter. The size alone differentiates it from other similar species, as do other characteristics not readily visible in attached specimens. Myrio is also ephemeral, which is to say, "Here today, gone tomorrow." While some cups may persist for several days, the "season" for this fungus is a 14-day window at best. Certain factors can be used to predict its eruption at individual sites, which was why Joe checked on it last week. Had I waited until next week to visit the location, I might have missed the timing. All three missions plus one accomplished, I returned to isolation without having come into contact with a single human being, my need for contact satisfied by touching base with some of my dearest friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment