Saturday, July 25, 2020

A Currant Of A Different Colour


Day 286: While I am not especially fond of the fruits of Red-Flowering Currant straight off the vine, they make a passin' fair substitute for blueberries in muffins. However, this year's crop has a different destiny. I have had an astonishingly good crop of Gooseberries (four cups!) and a reasonable yield from the Red Lake Currants (another cup). Combined with these native fruits, I should have enough for a full-sized batch of mixed Ribes jam (Ribes sanguineum above, plus R. uva-crispa and R. rubrum). The currants will need to be cooked and strained to remove blossom ends and stems as if I was making clear jelly, but the gooseberries will be left "chunky" (cut in halves or quarters in some cases). Sanguineum is just starting to produce. I picked a half-cup this morning, and there are loads of unripe ones. The jam should provide a delicious combination of tastes which I'm betting most people wouldn't be able to identify.

No comments:

Post a Comment