Saturday, July 4, 2020

Hybrid Seed


Day 265: Some of my readers may recall that in November 2019, I brought out my little paintbrush to tickle the flowers of a white Schlumbergera (Zygocactus) until they released pollen. I transferred the pollen to two receptive flowers on a yellow Schlumbergera and sat back to await results. By early December, the ovaries of the yellow plant had begun to swell. By April, they had begun to turn pink, indicating that they were ripening. One dropped about a month ago while still somewhat tender, so I let it lay until it had dried out thoroughly, and on July 1, I cracked it open. It contained roughly two dozen tiny black seeds which I planted in a mix of potting soil and sand.

Years ago, my husband conducted a similar experiment. As I recall, his craving for results caused him to harvest the pods before the seeds were mature; in any event, those he planted never germinated. In this case, I think the pod may have fallen prematurely despite the appearance of the seeds. The second pod is still attached to the plant.

Horticulture does not bring the instant gratification so desired by many. It is an exercise in patience; plants progressing through their cycles recognize only their own urgencies and cannot be rushed. Can you stand the suspense?

No comments:

Post a Comment