Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Limenitis Lorquini, Lorquin's Admiral



Day 269: Lorquin's Admiral (Limenitis lorquini) is one of my favourite local butterflies. Purportedly common along the Cascade range, I don't recall having seen one until I moved here. However, my references assure me that they can be found anywhere except the driest parts of the Columbia Basin and a narrow coastal zone in western Washington. The species ranges from British Columbia eastward into Montana, and to southern California. Its colours mimic those of the California Sister, a butterfly birds know to avoid because of its bitter taste. Limenitis lorquini nectars on a wide variety of flowering plants including thistles and Asteraceae. Its larvae feed on willows, poplars, serviceberry, chokecherry and other Prunus trees. It can be observed from May to October in the areas it inhabits.

No comments:

Post a Comment