Monday, August 24, 2020

Almost Done



Day 316: I realize that this is a little precipitous, but it represents the point at which a decision had to be made. When in late October 2019, I took on the project of finishing a king-sized heirloom quilt begun by a friend's grandmother over fifty years ago, the plan had been to have an old-fashioned quilting bee in the spring, a get-together which would allow both her and our other sister-of-the-heart to place a few stitches in the design. We were in the middle of trying to work out a schedule for the bee when COVID hit, and the plan had to be put on hold. I kept working on the quilt between other projects with the thought that by the time I had it nearly done, the pandemic would be history. Ah, what a nice dream that was! At this point, the quilt is done but for the last two blocks I had intended to leave unfinished until we could hold the bee, but COVID is still strong among us and not showing any signs of waning. Thus it was that I posed the question to Mousie yesterday about how she wanted me to proceed. Her decision saddens me, but it seems the only reasonable option. She wants me to finish it: "You. My sister, who has shown such care and love and thoughtfulness throughout this process" which of course means that the bee will not be. Still, knowing that the quilt will be keeping her warm in her New York home this winter fills me with the pride of accomplishment even as it makes me wonder if I, aged markedly by the stresses of these times, will see my dear friends again.

No comments:

Post a Comment