Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Cichorium Intybus, Chicory


Day 304: Cichorium intybus (Chicory) is considered an invasive in Washington and is commonly found in compacted soils such as those found in vacant lots and other waste areas. Its narrow, woody stems may grow to three feet in height. Its roots can be roasted and ground for use as a coffee substitute, although because it is rather bitter, the product is best tempered with some real grounds. For me, however, this plant's attractive sky-blue flowers overshadow its undesirability, and each year when it comes into bloom, my lens is drawn toward them. A closer look reveals petal tips which look as if they were cut out with a faerie's pinking shears, accented by banded and striped stamens. As much as I know I should, I can't bring myself to hate it, invasive or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment