Friday, August 14, 2020

Mint Jelly, Mint Tea


Day 306: The problem with growing your own mint is exactly that: growing mint. It doesn't know when to stop. Once it's established, it will spread by stolon and by seed until it takes over your garden. The solution to the problem is to use as much of it as possible, remove the flowers before they can set seed, or pull it until only a small bit remains. Trust me, that "small bit" will be back next year with a vengeance. Fortunately, I like both mint tea and mint jelly (the latter goes very well on homemade sourdough bread), so I keep it pretty well in check. In any event, it occupies a spot in the Barren Wasteland alongside other things I consider too weedy for the flower beds or veg garden. That said, some day after I'm gone, that spot will still be coming up mint, mint and more mint. I hope whoever lives here next likes mint jelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment