Sunday, August 16, 2020

Not The Brightest Crayon


Day 308: They're just not the brightest crayons in the box, if you know what I mean. This year, I have had a pair of Mourning Doves (Zenaida macroura) whose favourite resting spot is in the middle of my driveway. They often sit side-by-side, whispering sweet nothings to one another in a haunting, soft coo, but I do not see them feeding on insects in the gravel like the grosbeaks do, or engaging in any other activity outside of simply sitting there. They remain there for long periods of time, half an hour or more is a lengthy period for a bird to sit still. Sometimes one or the other of them will tuck its head under its wing for a nap, only rousing if my neighbour happens to drive through. They seem to be paired, flying off together toward a mutually agreed upon destination when they do take wing and returning together for another round of gravel-hatching. Try as I might, I just can't get inside their minds...not that there's much room in that pointy pigeon head.

No comments:

Post a Comment