Sunday, September 27, 2020

Bits And Pieces


Day 350: I have all the parts cut for the Scrappy Star quilt blocks and about half of the stars sewn up. When I put them together, I will be separating the blocks with "streets and alleys," i.e., strips of one more solid colour or print fabric. However, as I am certain you all know by now, shopping is somewhat difficult when you're in the midst of a pandemic, and I have not been able to find a suitable fabric to order on line. In any event, I prefer to handle the cloth even if it is identified as a quilting fabric. There is more variation than you might think in that seemingly narrow definition, one which includes poor quality goods openly woven, made with poor quality thread or printed on the skew. I've seen the same issues with "fat quarters" and learned long ago to be leery of bargains and sales. Perhaps it comes from having worked in a fabric store as one of my first jobs. We called ourselves "fiber fascists" in those days, those of us who would only buy natural fibers and well-made cloth. I think that's one phrase I can expunge from my lexicon.

No comments:

Post a Comment