Monday, September 14, 2020

Flower Garden


Day 337: Known as "Flower Garden," "Grandmother's Flower Garden," "Grandma's Garden" and a host of other variations on the same theme, this quilt pattern is comprised of print hexagons arranged around a solid center, bordered throughout by another solid colour (in this case, the traditional white). It is purportedly difficult to piece, but thanks to a YouTube video, I am finding it an absolute breeze. That said, every single side of every single hexagon has to be treated as a separate seam, the thread cut at the end and restarted on the next hexagon, but by proceeding in this manner (a task which requires a substantial helping of patience), it is virtually foolproof. I am amazed every time I step over to the ironing board and...well, willyalookatthat? They press flat! I predict more hexagon-pieced quilts in my future: smaller, larger, perhaps with a second row of prints outside the first, and of course I will be on the watch for a yellow-background bee print to be turned into a honeycombed hive. The possibilities are myriad, and even though I'm not quite halfway through the piecing of this Flower Garden, I'm thinking ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment